Thursday, September 3, 2015

Why do we collect things?

     

      Do you have any collections? Have you had this collection since you were a child or have you just recently started collecting? Why have you chosen this specific item for collecting? Is it the historical importance, or the money value, or the emotional connection, is it a purely visual attraction to the collection? Collections are fascinating to me!


     There are many reasons that people have come up with over time to why people collecting things. I haven't done any studies myself to say that this is the best reasoning but I would like to think that people collect things because it makes them happy. Even if you think your collection is for money purposes, how does it make you feel when you acquire a piece that fits your collection and you know it's worth money! That's right, you guessed it!


    The top ten things that people tend to collect are: Coins, Movies, CDS, Video Games, Stamps, Books, Dolls, Cards, Key-chains, and Rocks. Now that I think about, I have a collection of books. I have a TON of books and most of them I have read and will never read again but I keep moving them from place to place with me because I can't let them go. They make me happy. I am attached to them and the meaning they hold. Most of them I know where I was in my life when I was reading it. So I suppose this unintentional collection of books is from emotional connection. 


    I am however decided on a new collection that will be intentional! TEA CUPS. I love tea cups and I always have. Why do I love them? Well, I am glad you asked! The first reason I love tea cups is because I am very connected with the story and Disney movie of Alice in Wonderland. Tea cups remind me and make me think about wonderland and looking at beautiful tea cups really set my imagination into power mode! Also I actually love drinking tea. My gramcrackers and I drink tea every time we are together and so the collection could actually be functional which I like. I don't know if I could collect something that I wouldn't do anything with like rocks. 





    I have mentioned to my boyfriend a few times now that I want to start collecting tea cups and he has recently told me that he wants to start a collection as well! He wants to collect music records. He also wants his collection to be functional. He imagines his collection being displayed in a part of the house where company can actually sit around and listen to the records when they are over. I am definitely supporting this collection!

Let me hear what your collections are and what it is about them you love! Do you think your collection brings you more happiness? Leave a comment below and let me know your thoughts!

Until Tomorrow - Dream Away
Samantha Menzo



Etsy Featured Item of the Day:

She's Whiskey in a Tea Cup Jack Daniels summertime american apparel tri blend graphic tee Women's Racerback Tank Top byEllieSueTees



Song of the Day:

Alice | Pogo



Color of the Day:
Farrow and Ball


4 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for featuring my Alice in Wonderland Collage Sheet in your blog post today!! It is much appreciated!!! Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by the blog! Your etsy shop is amazing and the collage fit great with today's post!

      Samantha
      Cloud Nine Studios

      Delete
  2. I collect rocks every time I go on vacation. Its always a burden when I move, but I would never give them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that! I am sure unloading your suitcase is heavier than normal but it's a very cute idea! Thanks for stopping by :]

    ReplyDelete

Post your thoughts and questions here!