Tuesday, November 17, 2015

How a simple candle changed my productivity....


Mmmmmm, do you smell that? It's fresh baked cookies rising. The whole room is warm and safe.
Today is all about smells! I have always been very aware and effected by my senses and surely smell is not left out! This Gemini sun with a Taurus moon is all about aroma!

I have always been aware how a favorite smell might put me in a good mood. I had just brought home two WONDERFUL smelling candles that I snagged from my local craft store. One of which was Peppermint and the other was Christmas Tree.

(Click for more on this image)

I lit the Christmas Tree candle as I sat down to work on some recent commissions yesterday. As the room started to fill with the amazing aroma I melted into my work. It created such a perfect atmosphere to work in. I worked practically non-stop for HOURS on end. 


           This candle made me less restless and enhanced my focus and concentration by relaxing me. I realized that not only did the candle enhance my mood it enhanced my creativity and resources to express it in the way that I wanted. I never thought something so simple as a candle could help me be so productive!


Here are some of my personal FAVORITE SMELLS!
1. Lavender - My mother always had lavender around when I was growing up. I love it.
2. Books - The smell of a new book or a dusty old one, I turn the pages and smile in the scents.
3. Rain - Fresh rain is my absolute favorite smell. 
4. Fresh Paint - As an artist whenever I smell any type of paint I am immediately happy.
5. My boyfriend natural smell - sounds a little creepy but it's true I am attracted to his scent.

If lovely smells can change me so greatly, how about bad odors? As easily as I am effected by my favorite aromas the same is true for ugly ones. I can easily become nauseous by just one smell of something foul. You can't always avoid bad smells though so how do you think it changes your day when you are forced to come in contact with one?

My nose is crinkling just thinking about my LEAST FAVORITE SMELLS!
1. Skunk - It doesn't make me gag but I quickly receive headaches after smelling a skunk.
2. Cigarettes - As an ex smoker I am shocked to see how harshly I am effected by this aroma. PEW!
3.Moldy Food - One sniffy of moldy food and you'll find me gagging.
4. Vomit - As I get older my sensitivity to this smell is getting better but it still isn't pleasant
5. Port-o-potties - I mean it's obvious why I wouldn't like this.



Most of these are everyone's least favorite smells but it's interesting how I can tell I am effected so easily. Simply glancing at the list of my favorite smells and then at the least favorite smells my body language shifts. Even in my seat in front of my laptop. 
(One of my favorite author's Gretchen Rubin explaining aromas in her life)

Well what do I do now that I am more aware of how aromas effect me and my moods? I have started with permanently having a wonderful candle in my art studio at all times. I have also placed a few more in other rooms of the house. I was careful to make sure that the ones I placed in other rooms were liked by my loved ones. I wouldn't want one of my favorite smells to be one of their worst! 



Lastly I have decided to carry a tiny bag of Lavender in my purse with me all the time. If I am ever in a situation where I am driving and pass a dead skunk, or walk down a street and get a face full of cigarette smoke, I will be able to wash it away with something I love!

(Here is a fun video from YouTube stars trying foods and smelling others at the same time!)

What are some of your favorite smells? Do you have any in common? Are you as effected by smells as myself? Let me know in the comments below and don't forget to subscribe with the blue button on the top right of the blogs! I hope the rest of your day is a perfect as the smell of roses!

Until Tomorrow - Dream Away
Samantha Menzo




Etsy Featured Item of the Day:

Vintage 80s Scratch and Sniff Smelly Stickers Sticker by - ModerneMe


Song of the Day:

The Gallows Trailer Song - Smells Like Teen Spirit Cover


Color of the Day:
Sailor's Delight


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your thoughts and questions here!